Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Spots and a New Wig

...
At four years old, I caught the dreaded measles, and became very ill for a few days. I was placed under special care in the lounge room with the light and heater on. These days, having a measles temperature means cooling down not warming up, but I survived.

Being one of five meant that we rarely got special attention, so I really remember being bedded down on the lounge divan.


I woke in the night and by the red gold light of the radiator, I could see my walking doll sitting on the end of the divan, and she had a new wig!
I was so delighted....................

I must have pulled at her hair as young children can, until she looked like a plucked chook.

I had that doll for many years until my father, in a fit of tidiness, got rid of all our childhood treasures without telling us.

Oh, to have some of them now.

I remember that doll was a 21 inch walker, and her legs swung from the hips. If you tipped her forward, she would say 'Mama!' Her eyes even closed if she was laid backwards. She was the 50's equivalent of 'cool'.

2 comments:

Ann ODyne said...

oh no!
the trauma. I bet her eyes were sapphire blue.

1950's parenting was very different.

My friend of 40 years has serious issews.
They may stem from her father clearing out her entire room to the tip, after her and her sister failed to tidy it up when they were kids.
They are both very messy adults still, and my friend refuses to throw away anything.
A copy of The Age from last March?
Right there on the dining room table
(it is a good thing she has a very large house and a docile husband).

Robyn Rinehart Art said...

I think there is a medical term for collectors.........

It's nice to swing somewhere in between, keep a 'bone pile' just in case you might need it later, and leave room to walk around in your house.