Wednesday, December 5, 2007

First Taste of School

......
I started school at just over 4 years old, which was very young. I think my mum, after having five children under five, needed to get some of us out of her hair to give her some peace.

My parents intended a family of three children, so my older brother and I came first, then unexpected twins, and lastly a daughter who 'just happened'.

My brother and I began school at Oakleigh Primary School in 1955.

It's funny, but I drove past there recently over 50 years later, and sensed rather than saw that I had been there before. It was a large brick building which remains intact to this day.

As such a tiny, vulnerable child, I remember that the playground was being asphalted soon after I started. The teachers told us to stay away from the machines because they 'could kill' us. I still remember my fear of that stinking machine oozing black poison. To this day, I have an ingrained disquiet when I pass one working on the roads.

No comments: